Tuesday, September 25, 2012

MS Renaissance

MS. Renaissance? I consider myself a renaissance woman. See the first page in this blog for an explanation: http://careerbranches.wordpress.com/category/renaissance-personality/?blogsub=confirming#blog_subscription-3.  I have many interests.  I am creative, as in arts and crafts things, but also with DIY projects.  I am interested in Psychology (Jung is my preference), animal welfare (my 2 cats were both strays before I took them in), gardening, astrology (I'm an Aquarian with that "New Age" streak and love this astrologist: http://planetwaves.net/pagetwo/), women's issues, social policy, antiqueing and going to garage and yard sales, interior decorating (as in shabby ....oops, I mean frugal ....chic), writing (academic, research, personal essay, non-profit grant writing).  I'm an HSP, highly sensitive person. See http://www.hsperson.com/

Oh, I'm also interested in disability issues.  That's where the "MS" in MS. Renaissance comes in. Or should I say M.S.?  Multiple Sclerosis? Yeah, I  have M.S. 

Thought I'd be up front, because I dislike all the hiding (in both me and the outside world) that is associated with having a disability.  Not to mention stigma. Even though the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act, was passed in 1996, there is still stigma with hiring a person with a disability. 

I have been looking for a job for a while, but there is not much out there that will work with my parameters of fatigue and only being able to work 8-10 hrs. per week, as a Social Worker.  Personal opinion here, but I do think that the workforce needs to become more flexible with work hours per day and per week, in order to bring more people with disabilities into the workforce, in a situation like mine, anyway.  "I'm jus sayin'."

Luckily, through this whole process of trying to find a job, I have learned that I do not want a 9-5, 3-11 or even an 11-7 job that exists out there in the world.  I find them all extremely boring and constricting. I don't want to be confined to a job where I do the same thing every day, seeing the same people.   


I have wanted to write and blog.  I've been waiting for it to come all together for me. Finally, after about 2 years, during which I took some computer classes in proof-reading and copywriting, researched many websites and attended many free teleclasses about freelance writing, being an HSP, being creative, artistic (see http://www.artellaland.com/ for inspirational and esteem building products and services) and being a Renaissance Woman, took a course on internet writng resources, and lastly, took a class on grant writing, yesterday, the day arrived, where the little voice (spirit, the universe, God) inside me said, "Check out setting up a blog today."

The last I time looked at doing this, it looked and was hard, but today it was easy. Truly, the universe was telling me that the time had come to start a blog.

I want to share my process, as a woman with a disability and diagnosis of M.S., being a highly sensitive person with the renaissnce personality characteristic of "having difficulty deciding what I really want to do, because there is so much I want to do and am interested inI do not want to be a cog in the wheel, the machine, punching the clock, following procedure, making money for somebody else.  I want to love my life,  share my knowledge, use my strengths and help others with similar issues.


I know that there are others out there with a disability, are sensitive, creative and have as many interests as I have.  I look forward to sharing my process, connecting with you and talking






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home